- Wear loose dark cotton clothing and slip on shoes after being spray tanned. Preferably do not apply a bra for at least 4 hours afterwards. Do not rub or scratch your body as this can also remove the spray tan tanning solution during the developing process
- Avoid any strenuous exercise or perspiration activity immediately after the spray tanning session, as this will affect the process. Do not apply any creams or deodorants until after the first shower. Avoid any water contact on the skin until after the first shower. Water contact stops the tanning process immediately.
- If you are receiving a spray tan on a hot day it is recommended to apply talcum powder to areas of excess sweating after the spray tan is dry. It is also recommended to sit on a towel in the car after tanning to help prevent sweating.
- Wait between 2 to 8 hours depending on the spray tan you have had applied (One of our technician’s will recommend the best amount of time to leave your tan on) before showering. A small amount of colour will wash off during the first shower. This is normal. It’s the bronzer, not the tan.
- It is recommended to do two short washes in the first shower. The first, use water only to remove the excess residue and then a normal soap wash. Remember to wash around the elbows, knees, ankles, underarms and feet, especially between the toes.
- Avoid using moisturisers or products that contain Glycolic Alpha Hydroxy Acids and Sodium Laureth Sulphate as these ingredients promote increased exfoliation and will accelerate the fading process of the tan. Try to use soap with a ph balance of 5.5 or lower, as higher also accelerates the fading process. Avoid long hot showers/baths and rubbing of the skin afterwards as this increases the natural skin exfoliation process. When drying your skin, pat it dry.
- Avoid Chlorinated pools, spas and excessive heat such as a sauna s this will dramatically accelerate the fading process. Chlorine is a form of bleach, which promotes the accelerated process of removing the tan. Avoid shaving or waxing following the spray tan application as this process removes the very top layer of the skin thus removing the tan in that area. Shaving can cause the tan to look patchy.
A few more tips…
Remember to wear a protective SPF Sunscreen when out in the sun to avoid sunburn
Most Important Apply a moisturiser or body oil twice daily! Doing this slows down the natural skin exfoliation process thus extending the life of the tan. The more moisturiser you apply the longer the tan will last.
If first shower is within 6 hrs of the tan application, the tan will last approximately 3-5 days depending on the tan maintenance.
Shower within 8 hrs of the tan application, the tan will last approximately 5-7 days.
Shower within 10 hrs of the tan application, the tan will last approximately 7-10 days.